desperate
As i was watching murder she wrote on tv, my aunt told me to switch to channel 2. She said that a lot of people died in Ultra while lining up to watch Wowowee. Wowowee is a game show notorious for giving away sums of money and showcases. Today was supposedly their anniversary.
At first i thought it was a bomb. Who could be that cruel and plant a bomb in such a populated place? What would they accomplish? The main audience of the show are individuals/families who would like to try their luck in making their lives a bit better. On a regular day, people would line up as early as 3am to get in the show. For the anniversary it was as early as the day before.
But it wasn't a bomb. it was a stampede. i don't know which is worse. A stampede over a game show. Some would say ludicrous! The producers mentioned that they would only like to spread a little happiness. Instead that little happiness turned into a tragedy.
it is a reflection of how desperate we've become, as a people, as a country. Wowowee gives prizes to a few, easing some people's lives. Still a number go back to their homes hungry. Why not look for work then? Well, jobs are few. And if they do find work, it's not enough to make ends meet.
Although, admittedly there are those who are too lazy to find work, or would rather have instant gratification without breaking a sweat. And there are those who have big families even if they know they can't afford to feed them. But do they deserve death? In some ways, come to think of it, at the very least they won't have to suffer any more.
We look to other countries to provide aid, if not borrow money. But these are temporary solutions, and most of the money goes back to debt servicing, anyway. It's a vicious cycle that we can't seem to break. We look to our leaders for guidance. But sometimes the very people we've elected are the ones ready to feed us to the dogs.
I do not know what I can do to solve our country's problems. I try to work hard and pay my taxes religiously. Everytime I open my payslip, I am ready to cry and wonder where does all the money go? It is ok for me to give money to the government if only i see it being put to work. Maybe it's unfair of me to say that since I am not part of the government. I know there are hardworking government officials out there, i just don't know where they are.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home